Our practice is attached to the Netcare Sunninghill Hospital Acute Care Trauma Unit. This Unit runs a 24-hour Accident and Emergency service with Emergency or Casualty Doctors providing the initial assessment of the patients and then contacting the Surgeon On-call for consultation and further management.
ACUTE CARE SURGERY
Acute Care Surgery is an area of expertise in General Surgery, its platform is designed to offer a range of services that caters for a wide variety of emergency and urgent situations such as traumatic injuries from traffic accidents, falls and sport related injuries to acute surgical conditions, for example: acute Appendicitis, intra-abdominal infections, Pancreatitis, Intestinal Obstruction, acute diverticulitis, gastro intestinal hemorrhage, etcetera.
The goal is to be able to offer a highly specialized surgical care based on local and internationally recognized current advances in the field of surgical practice that offers the greatest benefit to the patients requiring the service.
WE TREAT OR FACILITATE THE TREATMENT BY AND FOR OTHER SPECIALISTS FOR A WIDE VARIETY OF SURGICAL PROBLEMS, SUCH AS:
- Acute Appendicitis
- Acute Cholecystitis (gall stones)
- Intestinal Obstruction
- Acute Diverticulitis
- Complicated hernias
- Gastro intestinal haemorrhage
- Abdominal Infections
- Soft tissue infections (cellulitis and abscesses)
- Injuries from traffic accidents, fall or sport-related injuries
- Victims of physical assault
- Any other surgical problem that may require admission in hospital or surgical intervention
ELECTIVE OR PLANNED SURGERY (COLD CASES) FOR PATIENT REFERRED TO THE PRACTICE IN THE FOLLOWING AREAS:
- Gastro-intestinal diseases including gall stones, colonic surgery, etcetera
- Groin, Umbilical and Incisional Hernias
- Screening endoscopy (gastroscopy and colonoscopy)
- Thyroid gland problems
- Removal of soft tissue masses and lumps when indicated
- In very selected cases we consider performing surgery for Hiatal hernias and Gastro-esophageal reflux disease
Whenever indicated the surgical procedures will be performed using Laparoscopic Surgery (keyhole surgery), however the indications and contra indications will be discussed with the patient in advance.
The service may include treatment in Intensive Care ward and combined treatment by other Specialists and health care professionals such as Physiotherapists, Dietitians, when their expertise is considered necessary.
Dr. M Ortega MD FCA SA provides the anaesthesia service for the practice preferentially. However when she is not available we will arrange for a different anaesthesia provider to be available for the surgical procedures.